In the last few decades, the United States has lost an a sizable amount of people due to hostage terror related attacks. It is due to this reason that an Executive order that allows negotiating with terrorist, has been formulated, and will be released on Wednesday, by the White House.
When released, the order will allow the government and Americans to communicate directly with terrorist holding American hostages captive. Previously, families of captured citizens have been threatened with prosecution if they made pay-outs to the captors. Although the government has stated that it will not pay any forms of ransom, family members who prefer to payout ransoms will no longer be committing a criminal offense.
In the past, the Government has looked away when such ransoms have been paid out to terror groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS. Family members have, however, gone through the mental anguish of not knowing whether they will go to jail thereafter or not. Negotiating with terrorist has previously been illegal in the United States.
After several months of reviewing of its policies, the White House on Tuesday opened its doors for the family member to meet and learn about the final decision. President Barrack Obama will meet with the families on Wednesday where they will receive a formal go-ahead to pay ransom for their relatives if they wished.
To avoid further loss of lives through confusion and mixed signals, the government will offer uniform guidelines on how the negotiation will be carried out. The long-standing administration has however maintained that government concessions law to terrorists will still stand.
On Wednesday, the government will also announce that there will be a Hostage Recovery Fusion Cell formed. The primary goal of the cell will be to coordinate the government response to hostage situations. A senior FBI official will be appointed as the director while the deputies will come from the Pentagon.
Although the creation of a fusion cell has been viewed as a great idea by most across the board, some have a different opinion. Some like Elaine Weinstein the wife of a worker killed by a US drone have said that leaving the responsibility of the hostage recovery on the shoulders of one individual is a mistake. She says that the National Security Council is best positioned to undertake the task.
Duncan Hunter, a Californian Republican Representative, has a termed the whole operation as a ‘window dressing’. He fears that not enough investigations were done before coming up with the directive. He continues to say that the government has not learned any lesson from previous tragedies because for the order to work, big changes need to be done first.
He further continued to say that the FBI is not equipped to handle foreign hostage situations. He believes that giving the power to the FBI is a mistake that might have deadly costs.
A U.S. government official, however, has said that the evolving hostage takings have forced the government to review its laws to protect its citizens. The terrorist now carry out public beheading to both private and government citizens and later publicize them. It is expected that the new changes will deal with these challenges.
Phoenix is the Co-Founder of DontComply.com, ComeAndTakeItAmerica.com, and host of the Don't Comply Radio Show.
Find Us On Facebook
Enter your email address to subscribe!